Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Reading Watching Listening...

 Reading:
 Rebecca by Daphne Demaurier
 Life by Keith Richards
 Courage by Osho




I always keep 4 or 5 books going at the same time, which is a little crazy but it suits my moods. I like to keep a bio going for hazy, pre-sleep reading, so I can drift off dreaming about the lives of matinee idols and rock gods.  Keith Richard's Life is a is such a yarn, I highly recommend it if you like biographies or have even the most general interest in the 60s. So far its name-dropping bliss with little anecdotes and gossip about all kinds of far reaching 60s and 70s characters from John Lennon to Alain Delon.  And as you might expect from Mr. Keith Richards, it has action-packed stories of close shaves with cops & bar room style brawls. It also has a lot of honest talk about addiction and fame (and, ahem, drug quality and preparation), but its lyrically written in this great, conversation prose of an old cat thats seen it all.






Rebecca is my dream novel...its the kind of book you could polish off quickly but you procrastinate while reading it because you don't want it to end.  It combines my favorite things-- mystery, desire, veiled with layers of puzzling secrets and clues and lots of psychological association/ dream imagery. I first saw the movie years ago and it blew me away.  I think I just related so closely to the heroine feeling young, self-conscious, and overwhelmed by her environment-- and I love Hitchcock's style of slowly peeling back the layers in black and white cinematography. I found out that one of Hitch's favorite authors to adapt mystery stories from is Daphne Demaurier.  He also adapted Jamaica Inn and The Birds from her (instantly going on my book list).  Her style of writing definitely makes for a great thriller novel but isn't at all like the average pulp-y mystery.  Rebecca is very delicately woven from fragile threads of insecurities and relationships and psychological pressures. And its so elegantly written.


Osho is a wonder in and of himself.  If you haven't heard about his rockstar guru ways-- for the positive and the negative you must look him up right away.




 Watching:
 Rebecca (1940)
 David Lynch marathon
 Stones in exile (2010)
 The Universe of Keith Haring (2008)


I finally bought Rebecca and I can't watch it too often these days.  You can watch it in parts on Youtube:




I've tried to catch up on Lynch films I hadn't seen.  I caught two films at a local film festival: Elephant Man and Wild at Heart.



Both were so amazing... Elephant Man really shows the fresh from Eraserhead early Lynch era style.  It is delicately quiet, black and white, and is definitely the most sensitive and touching Lynch film I've seen.  


Wild at Heart was deliciously crazy and really reminded me of the Twin Peaks era (a lot of Twin Peaks cast are in it as well).  I also finally got Blue Velvet via Netflix snail mail but I think its available on Netflix instant in March.  Its amazing to think that that film was made in the early 80s because its so consistent with Lynch's Twin Peaks era styling... and it just looks so ahead of its time.


Stones in Exile-- about the creating of classic rock album Exile on Main St-- is still currently available on Netflix Instant... it was really great because the timing of when it became available on Netflix synchs up perfectly with me reading that particular chapter about the Stones recording Exile on Main St. in Keith Richard's Life. Its a quick documentary and interesting if you know the album well.


 Listening:
 Roy Orbison and 50s crooners
 Peppermint Trolley Company
 Tame Impala "Innerspeaker"
 Wavves "King of the Beach"


Growing up I used to hate Roy Orbison's crooning vibrato but I suddenly started getting into his stuff a few months ago and coinsidentally saw Blue Velvet which centers around both Bobby Darin's Blue Velvet (performed by Isabella Rossellini in the previous clip) and Roy Orbison's In Dreams-- both trigger some tender emotions in the manical huffer Frank when they are sang.


I recently posted a music video from the Peppermint Trolley Company who are lightweights in 60s psychedelic rock but being that I'm such a sucker for the genre-- and I especially like the softer psychedelic songs-- Ive been listening to Peppermint Trolley Company.  Here's an odd clip I dug up of them guest starring on a very groovy Beverly Hillbillies episode.



Tame Impala's Innerspeaker and Wavves' King of the Beach are two albums I've been playing on my Ipod when I'm walking down the beach as its the peak of summer down here and to walk down Ipanema beach in the morning is blissful.



0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...