Sunday, January 8, 2012

Art: The Photography of Ellen Rogers







Above photos from her collection Solipsism



I can't believe I have only just discovered the spellbinding work of UK based photographer Ellen Rogers.  Her images are too arresting and otherworldly to come easy, and the surely don't.  She doesn't use an digital equipment or computer programs to create these analogue treasures.  She mixes her own dangerous development chemicals which she says give her "funny headaches".   Her breathtaking book is on sale at her website and for more of her magic you can see her blog and shop her store.  Her website also features interesting interviews with her by the likes of i-D,  Flickr, Esquire, and British Journal of Photography.


Read her bio and statement:

Ellen Rogers is an all-analogue fashion photographer. Through her work, Rogers creates timeless dream worlds where temptresses seduce and lure you into unknown, dark lands. A firm believer in the art of analogue photography, Rogers does not utilize any digital equipment or computer based manipulation (other than scanning the end result) and has developed most techniques through experimentation with traditional darkroom processes. 'Excerpt by Tricia Rock'   About the work:   I am desperately trying to find something. My search in the black foam and the fog of my psyche. I see no other way to that place/emotion/world, oh I don’t know. I saw it in a dream recently. I knew instantly I would be there again. I hope I am there again. I need to find that place, to right the wrongs, it is the punishment that I need, perhaps? I can feel a reality slipping away from me, with this drive replacing it, this quest. Where my problems are worked out and my worries are confirmed and made corporeal, real worries walking and seeing, they are deformed and contorted ideas in the flesh (and in the fog), where in there/here even your taunts will leave me smiling. I think I will get there, perhaps I will see some of you there 
Hello my name is Ellen; I am a London based fashion photographer. I’m also a firm believer in the art of analogue photography and don’t utilize any digital equipment or computer based manipulation (other than scanning the end result).
I developed my techniques through experimentation with traditional darkroom processes. I have had to meet a happy medium between making clear enough images to show clothes and also making a place I could live in too.






Above photos are from her collection Trionfi




2 comments:

Sandy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

My Mystical Photography The word photography comes from two ancient Greek words: photo,for "light"and graph for "drawing","Drawing with light" is a way of describing photography.When a photograph is made,light or some other form of radiant energy, such as X rays,is used to record a picture of an object or scene on a light-sensitive surface.The great thing about photography is its outward focus on the world around us,not the art itself.

Eugen Gurjasti said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Wow, absolutely fantastic! Thank you for sharing

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...